Ever had a period-based incident in your knickers? When your flow runs a little more intensely than you thought and you bleed through your undies? If so, then you’ll have dealt with the nuisance of trying to get period blood out of your underwear.
While most will give up and just chuck the undies straight in the bin (hello, landfill?!), some will spend hours over the kitchen sink running cold water and frantically rubbing the fabric with a bar of soap before reaching for the heavy-duty cleaning liquids to sort out the situation.
However, if you’re using period undies, it’s a whole different ball game.
Because our undies are literally designed to be bled into, they’ve got clever Modifier Technology built in to absorb the blood. This means that you physically can’t stain them with blood, no matter how heavy your flow is.
So instead of ditching your stained undies each month, you can easily wash period underwear so they’re ready to roll again the next time you want to use them.
How to wash period undies
So how do you wash period underwear? There are four simple steps that’ll leave you with a nice fresh pair each time:
- Rinse in cold water. You should do this just after you take the undies off and try not to leave them to soak, but instead just rinse until the water runs clear. A lot of our customers find taking them into the shower to rinse the best way to do this.
- Chuck them in the washing machine and run them on a cold wash. Cold is key here as hot temperatures can mess with the hi-tech function. If you don't have a load to put on straight away, you can leave them hanging until the next load. We also recommend putting them in a delicates bag for extra protection.
- Hold off on the fabric softener. These break down the natural fibres in the period undies, so it’s best just to stick with laundry liquid or soap.
- Hang them out to dry. Pin them up on the washing line, wait for them to dry and then pop them in your drawer ready to use again!
How to make sure your period underwear lasts
Now we know how to wash period undies, let’s chat about some simple tips to help them last. Understanding the proper ways to store and care for them will ensure they last.
Here are our top tips for caring for your new favourite pair:
- Give your period underwear a good wash before wearing them for the first time. This helps to activate the Modifier technology and ensures the product lining is absorbent.
- To keep your garments safe against other rough materials in the washing load, use a delicates bag during the washing cycle.
- Avoid fabric softeners and strong detergents – the natural fibres of our garments don’t like these.
- Be sure to line dry only. The high temperatures of the tumble dryer (and hot wash cycles) can impact the Modifier technology.
- While it may be your go-to for stained clothes, soaking is not the best way to get the blood out of your period undies. Squeezing and rinsing under running water is much more effective.
- Make sure they are completely dry before storing them away.
- Add a few pairs to your roster. We recommend having 3 or 4 pairs to rotate during your period. This will reduce the stress of having to wait for them to dry and will also make them last longer.
Still got questions?
- Can you wash period underwear with other clothes?
You sure can. Once rinsed until clear, it’s best to wash them in a delicates bag on a cold cycle with like colours.
- Can you put period undies in the dryer?
While the speed and convenience of the tumble dryer can be tempting, we advise against putting your period undies in the dryer as the high temperatures can break down the hi-tech function.
- Do you have to wash period undies right away?
Even if you don’t have time to fully wash them straight away, you should rinse your period undies right after wear until the water runs clear. You can then wait until your next wash cycle to wash them as normal.
- Can I hand wash period undies?
Absolutely. Just rinse them fully and then use a gentle laundry liquid to wash them in cold water.
Add some Modibodi to your undie drawer
New to Modibodi? Here are three of our bestselling pairs to get you started:
Sensual Hi-Waisted Bikini – Light-Moderate absorbency. Super comfy as the lace sits flat against the tummy which is great on a bloated stomach. They are the perfect first pair to get a feel of how our technology works with your flow.
Classic Full Brief - Moderate-Heavy absorbency. An ultra-comfy pair that sits high on the waist to keep you secure and holds 15mls of liquid.
Classic Boyshort - Heavy-Overnight absorbency. These are great for overnight as they have a longer leg, and the absorbent lining goes all the way up the back.
Heavy bleeder? We’ve got you. Try our Maxi-24hrs absorbency range that can hold 50mls of liquid.